10.23.2007

natural disaster...

I’ve always had this thought that one day the world is going to end – either by a natural or man-made disaster. I’ve been watching the news reports about the wildfires in California and I am just stunned. I’m a news junkie so I naturally keep up with these things routinely, but this is almost Katrina like. Makes me think, what can we do? It was so easy for us to help the Katrina people because they were next door but California is much further. Either way, I’m saddened. California is my favorite state next to Texas. The only other place I’d even consider living in.

My uncle, who I visited in August, evacuated his house in La Jolla last night. His family stayed at a hotel on the college campus. He said it’s unbelievable. Across the freeway, where we stayed at a hotel three months ago in Rancho Bernardo, many of the houses burned.

I guess what ticked me off the most today was when I was driving in to work this morning. I was listening to the radio and local DJ had the nerve to say that’s the risk some of these people took by moving to California (or Malibu). I was so mad that I wanted to call in but I didn’t have the time. I already have too much work to do.

But luckily the other DJ’s enlightened him and reminded him that no matter where you stay there is a risk of something happening. Dallas is at risk for a tornado. I felt like he was blaming these people for buying a house out there or living in California. First of all, somebody has to live there. It’s home to millions of people. And just because there are risks for these natural disaster does that mean we should avoid living there? If that’s the case then we would never find a home.

Seriously, it seems like these people are taking it very well for having lost everything. Most of the people I’ve seen being interviewed were just sad if they lost the pictures or any other memories. I think it just shows how strong we are as Americans.

That’s enough on my thoughts, if they make any sense (I’m heavily medicated). I’m too tired to expand any more. My allergies have taken a toll on me. Journal entry to come on that soon.

No comments: