10.16.2007

hair

Last weekend I spent part of it getting my hair done. I’ve always hated getting my hair done. It always takes up so much time. That’s why I’m so keen on adding in fake hair. Nevertheless last Sunday seemed to go by fairly quick. When I went to go get my braids put back in I was reminded of a funny story that happened to me about a month ago. I had to share it with my hairdresser.

My friends and I were meeting at a restaurant to have dinner. It was one of those expensive restaurants with very dim lighting – so dim that you can’t see the prices on the menu. Well, I got there a tad early so I sat down on the bench. From the moment I walked in there the hostess kept looking at me. I tried to avoid eye contact with her thinking “Am I underdressed or something?” Since it was Friday I just decided to wear a pair of jeans, nice shirt and heels. The last time I went to a expensive restaurant I was completely overdressed as I sat down with people wearing jeans all around me.

So I kept thinking, “Should I know this woman?” because at that point nothing could jog my memory. Finally I looked at her and she came over to me.

“Your hair is so beautiful. What kind of braids are those?” she said.

I told her and she began to stare at them. “Do you mind?” she said as she held up a tiny flashlight.

I was so stunned that I said, “Ok.”

She took the flashlight and started looking in my hair. She explained to me how she had been trying to find a new hair style, etc. When I finally sat down at the table with my friends and recounted the story, I realized how odd that was.

The only good thing was she didn’t touch my hair. I absolutely hate when people touch my hair, especially when they don’t ask and you have no idea who they are. (You have no idea where their hands have been.) What an odd experience! Every time I think of it I just laugh.

No comments: