10.01.2007

listen...

I’m being forced to go to the fair – another teambuilding activity. My company has taken on this initiative to promote teambuilding and rewards. Therefore, the first event part of this initiative is Fair Day.

I feel like I’m in grade school again. You know where we all got a ticket to go to the fair – except we got a choice if we want to go. This time I really don’t get a choice. Even though our boss says we can opt not to go, but you know if I don’t go it looks bad.

I don’t want to go to the fair. I don’t know if it’s because of the weather, the transportation, the cost or the company. Either way, I’d rather stay at the office and work. So we discussed it at work today. The company is paying for everyone’s ticket and the $10 parking. But in an effort to save the company money, my boss thought it would be cool if we took the city bus or the train.

Mind you, this trip to the fair will be during the week, which means there will be no traffic. But it also means there are no city bus that goes straight from the parking ride to the fair. That means we will have to go to the nearest Park and Ride and ride the city bus all the way to the fair which will include many stops. The total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes. They also decided to look at the rail because it will be “fun.” The rail doesn’t go to the fair thankfully.

I just wonder if any of these people have ever rode a city bus because I don’t see the point in taking the city bus since the fair doesn’t open until 10. There will be no traffic and they want to leave around 3, before rush hour traffic. Perhaps we should carpool? Either way I’m taking my own car. I’m not driving on the other side of town to go to Park and Ride to take the city bus to go to the fair.

If that’s not enough the company is only paying for our ticket (which will be $4 the day we go when we bring a can), which means we have to pay for food, rides, or anything else we want to do there. By the way, the fair is NOT cheap these days. So we are basically forced to spend some type of money because we are going to need a drink considering it will still be hot. And maybe even something to eat.

Not to mention between all of this, especially around this time of season, I try to avoid going outside since my allergies are bad. So if I get sick because of being outside all day, they are going to have to deal with me being out for two days.

I’m not trying to sound ungrateful or anything but our company leaders should take the time to actually ask the employees what would they like to do as a teambuilding activity. I saw at least half of the people in the room roll their eyes when they found out we are going to the fair.

Just four months ago, I had to go to a pool party at my boss house which I did not want to go to. Half of the people in my group are over the age of 40. They don’t want work people to see them in swimsuit (I understand that). So only 5 people got in the pool. We just sat there and talked in the hot July sun (NOT FUN).

Why can’t we do some teambuilding activity that’s normal? Like bowling or a happy hour after work. Or perhaps a lunch. Or could we just stick with our old tried-and-true shopping and the movies. Nobody ever really objected to that.

Or here's a novel idea: Listen to your employees!

No comments: