7.19.2007

the snack cart lady...

I’m sure we’ve all had times where we perform duties that are not our job description. Well most recently, I’ve been the “snack cart lady.” Twice this week, I’ve had to push a cart around, playing music similar to what the ice cream truck plays, as I go down each aisle.

It is somewhat my fault that I’ve become the snack cart lady. My boss was encouraging us to volunteer for it, since all the proceeds go the charity, so I decided to help. It wasn’t until my co-worker and I went to go sign up we realized we were the only two names on the page. Suddenly, we felt scared – this could potentially be our new duty everyday for the next three months. Then we felt bad because no one else had signed up. So we decided to put down another co-worker’s name to help. (Misery loves company!)

So twice a week I must push a cart (which is not that light might I add) down aisle after aisle, lightly screaming “snacks, soda, 50 cents.” I’ve never considered myself a good salesperson, but I suppose I did pretty good the first few times. Those who I knew, I could get to buy at least one thing. After all, everything on the cart is cheaper than the vending machines. Even better, we have Dr. Pepper, which is not sold anywhere within our building.

Then there were those people who asked, “Are you new here?”

“No I’m not,” I said smiling. “I’m just anti-social, so I usually just stay in my corner by the window in the women’s area.”

I suppose it wasn’t too bad, I got to figure out where those associates I see all the time in the hallway sit. I also was able to compare my cubicle to others. (I need to get to decorating my cube. There are some that are really good!)

I suppose I should admit my motives weren’t completely pure in volunteering for the job. I knew the big boss would find out who’s been volunteering. He knows everything. Therefore, I knew it would look good especially when I come by his office to offer him some treats. I had to compensate for the fact that I hadn’t been parking next to him these past few weeks (due to rain) in the morning. That’s my way of being able to chat it up with him. (Hey, after all, he is the man who decides who gets raises or not.)

Anyways, I’m stuck pushing a cart around week after week until September. The good news is I don’t have a ring a bell anymore. And I guess it doesn’t hurt to meet some more people.

No comments: