5.04.2008

it's war...

Those damn ducks! They won’t go away. They keep coming back. We got a bb gun, hit them and they still keep coming back. This is unreal. I called the city and they said since it’s a mallard duck, they can’t touch them; they are protected by law. Protected by law my ass. We didn’t get a $40,000 pool to be harassed by some damn ducks.

We went to Academy to get the gun last week. The salesmen had never heard of ducks so bold. They said they put up a fake owl to get rid of ducks, but they were unsure if it would get rid of ducks. I doubt it because these ducks are bigger than an owl and quite frankly seem to be fairly smart.

So we’ve been shooting the ducks since Wednesday. No change. Saturday I go out there to shoot the duck again. I missed with the first shot. After that, I realized I needed to reload. I turn the door knob to go back in the house to get the ammunition and that’s when I realized I locked myself out. That damn duck! I’m sure he was just laughing at me. So I had to go to my neighbor’s house to get the extra key.

Seriously, I can’t believe these ducks keeping coming back. Tonight there were about four of them circling our house. They’d fly into our pool leave them come back. It’s like they were mocking us. I’m mad now.

So I searched the Internet for solutions to get rid of ducks. Here are some answers I found:

“I know of a suburb of st louis that had a problem with wild geese. They got themselves a border collie if you cant have a dog in your area or dont know someone who has a dog that will chase them off I think they also have something that makes a noise that wild birds do not like whenever they come in a certain area that works like an invisible fence. I dont know where to find it but I hope this info helps.”

“There is a company that puts out "natural" repellents for landscapes called "liquid fence". They make something for every kind of animal, including ducks. Here is a link with the product. You apply it on the lawn and it is unpalatable to ducks and geese when they feed, making them go elsewhere to eat. I talked to a company Representative a few months back and he said that they have had great feedback from customers. It even has a 100% money back guarantee included. Hope this helps you out..”

“leave some crocodiles in ur pool.”

“first you need to find out where they are coming from and then when you find that out you need to make a food trail from your pool to that place and lead them further on dump a lot of food run and pray they don't follow you.”

“if you pound stakes in the ground ,or use existing trees ,and run fishing line from one to the others in a square like pattern ,it is not only invisible to the naked eye ,but NO birds will fly OVER NOR UNDER the lines . works great for pool decks also.”

“Point 12 gauge in general direction of ducks.....pull trigger.”

They are all very interesting answers. I don’t know about making my whole backyard a war zone, although it’s almost kind of that way now. But the longer this goes on, the longer I’m liking the last suggestion…I’ve never had duck for dinner, but I’d sure like to try it.

1 comment:

Kelly Crost said...

Alright, lets stop shooting the Geese because as you have witnessed they will come back. I had the same problem and there is a company that I contacted called Bird-X, Inc. They have been in the humane bird control industry for over forty years. The products that they have really work and have continued to keep the Geese away. You can visit www.bird-X.com for more information. Good Luck!