1.31.2007

food or lewd?

So I read an article the other day on MSNBC’s web site about mother’s breast feeding in public. Is it ok or not?

I couldn’t help, but giggle a bit when I read the first two lines of the story. But after reading the whole thing it had me thinking. Unfortunately or fortunately, I haven’t encountered a mother breast-feeding her baby in public, but I can say for sure I would feel uncomfortable.

We live in this society where we are told to cover ourselves up, etc. We also live in this society where anyone can sued for sexual harassment, stalking, etc. While I understand “breast-feeding” can be good for a baby, it’s not an excuse to do it in public. When it’s feeding time, a woman should go into the restroom, lounge area or somewhere private and do it there. I just think it is totally inappropriate to whip out the nipple in the mall, pool or restaurant and start breast-feeding.

In this article an expert is quoted as saying society doesn’t recognize the functional use of breasts. It only recognizes the sexual aspect. That may be true, but our society is not as pure as we would all like it to be. What if a woman is breast feeding in public and a man just starts staring at her? I can see it coming right now. She gets freaked out (which she has every right to do) and calls security or whatever. What if another kid sees the nursing mom and ask, “What is she doing?” Maybe that parent doesn’t want to have that conversation just yet with their kid.

The one thing I can understand is breast-feeding in public if you have to. According to the article, a woman was asked to leave a flight because she wouldn’t cover up while breast-feeding. An airplane bathroom is small so I can understand breast-feeding in that situation – if she couldn’t do it before or after the flight. The woman should also do her best to cover up her breast as much as she can. But in any other situation I say no breast-feeding. This society isn’t ready for that and pushing it will only make it worse.

No comments: