1.08.2007

What have I gotten myself into?

I don’t think I had ever been so overwhelmed as I had been after class on Saturday. Six weeks – well in this case five weeks to complete a course. Three in-class dates and I do everything else online.

I have two papers due the next class which is in two weeks. I have a group paper and a group presentation due the third class which is in four weeks. Pretty quick huh? So of course in order to write the papers I have to do the readings first.

Yeah, I was a little high strung after class. I started immediately after my 9 to 5 p.m. class on Saturday, despite the fact I had already read 90 pages before the class even began. Well that was after I went to go buy another book and a bottle of alcohol to go along with it.

After reading for about an hour, I went out to eat and drink. Luckily the alcohol calmed me down a bit. Came home and studied until 1 a.m., but couldn’t go to sleep until 2 a.m. I woke up early the next morning. I skipped church to read more. That was my entire weekend. I don’t think I’ve ever studied so much in my entire life.

Now that it’s Monday and I already have half of my reading done and an entire paper, I’m finally okay. That is mostly due to the fact I had nothing to do at work today so I did school work. But all and all, I guess the work load is reasonable. After all, if I don’t take the summer off I’ll have my masters in 15 months. The work isn’t boring either. Everything I’m reading about I can use now or can see myself using in a couple of years.

It’s better to get it now while I’m 25 and not wait until I’m 40 like most of the people in the class. I seriously felt a bit awkward in that classroom. It was filled with mostly women but women who had teenager or kids who are already adults. There was only one girl about the same age as me and she had just got her undergraduate degree. I kind of expected it to be older people in there since you have to have at least 5 years experience. I just didn’t think they would be that much older. I thought there might be people in their late 20’s or early 30’s -- yeah, not many of those.

Well hopefully things will go well. I’ve already sent my rough draft to the teacher. I’m going to be really upset if I get anything under a B. Got to get some sleep.

No comments: