1.09.2007

Is this really me?

I took this Strengthfinders personality test for my class. It is supposed to identify your five strengths. So for those of you who have been trying to understand me for years, perhaps this will shed some light. I am characterized by these five themes: learner, competition, focus, analytical and achiever.

Learner (hence the graduate courses)
It says this: You love to learn. The subject matter that interests you most will be determined by your other themes and experiences, but whatever the subject, you will always be drawn to the process of learning. You are energized by the steady and deliberate journey from ignorance to competence.

Okay, I agree with that. I do like reading especially the news because I always want to know more.

Competition
When you look at the world, you are instinctively aware of other people's performance. Their performance is the ultimate yardstick. No matter how hard you tried, no matter how worthy your intentions, if you reached your goal but did not outperform your peers, the achievement feels hollow. Like all competitors, you need other people. You need to compare. If you can compare, you can compete, and if you can compete, you can win. And when you win, there is no feeling quite like it. You particularly like contests where you know you have the inside track to be the winner. Although you are gracious to your fellow competitors and even stoic in defeat, you don't compete for the fun of competing. You compete to win.

Yes, so it’s true. I love competition and to be challenged. It pushes me to do more. And of course I want to win. Who doesn’t? I’m just more competitive in the career field, like trying to get a raise or a promotion because I’m good at working. Okay and maybe I am competing to try and get a higher grade than everyone else in this class, lol.

Focus
"Where am I headed?" you ask yourself. You ask this question every day. Guided by this theme of Focus, you need a clear destination. Lacking one, your life and your work can quickly become frustrating. And so each year, each month, and even each week you set goals. These goals then serve as your compass, helping you determine priorities and make the necessary corrections to get back on course. In the end, then, your Focus forces you to be efficient. Naturally, the flip side of this is that it causes you to become impatient with delays, obstacles, and even tangents, no matter how intriguing they appear to be.

So I admit it. I am one of those freaks who makes schedules and set goals. I do have a secret list of things I want to do before I die. I just make sure I hide it all so I seem spontaneous (if only I could be, lol). I like making a to-do list.

Analytical
Your Analytical theme challenges other people: "Prove it. Show me why what you are claiming is true." In the face of this kind of questioning some will find that their brilliant theories wither and die. For you, this is precisely the point. You do not necessarily want to destroy other people's ideas, but you do insist that their theories be sound.

I didn’t really see this one. But maybe perhaps it comes out in me on the reporter side. I do ask a lot of questions. And I am really nosey and always want to know things, even if it has nothing to do with me. So what if curiosity killed the cat? I just want to know why? I am stubborn at times and relentless.

Achiever
Your Achiever theme helps explain your drive. Achiever describes a constant need for achievement. You feel as if every day starts at zero. By the end of the day you must achieve something tangible in order to feel good about yourself. And by "every day" you mean every single day-workdays, weekends, vacations. No matter how much you may feel you deserve a day of rest, if the day passes without some form of achievement, no matter how small, you will feel dissatisfied. You have an internal fire burning inside you. It pushes you to do more, to achieve more.

I believe it. I feel like life I would be worthless if I didn’t achieve anything. I think achievements show how successful you are in your life. And of course I want to be the most successful because I'm competitive (as mentioned earlier). On the other hand, it’s hard to take vacations. I love to work. I always think about work and I like doing it. I get this warm fuzzy feeling when I get something done. It’s like eating dessert.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can definitely see some of these traits in you, especially the Achiever part. This kind of explains you and the waking up early in the morning thing. If you're going to achieve something everyday, gotta get a jump start, right? =P