9.12.2007

he's learned well...

Sweetness and I haven’t really gotten into an argument yet. I like to argue. Sweetness doesn’t. He’s really laid-back, kind of goes with the flow. So imagine my surprise last night when for the first time he told me no. I was really caught off guard. For the seven months we have been dating, he has never told me no. I was speechless.

It all started after he asked me what I wanted for my birthday. He said he had been trying to think of something for the past couple of months.

“I really don’t need or want anything. So you don’t need to get me anything,” I said assuredly.

He didn’t like that idea. So I said if we wanted to do the whole gift-giving thing, we should establish some parameters or restrictions. In my history of gift giving, it starts off all sentimental then years later it becomes this thing where you spend about as much as the other person and vice versa. Then you both end up spending an unbelievable, really unreasonable amount of money on each other. So I suggested restrictions.

He said no, it’s about the sentimental value – not money. He said if he wants to buy me a yacht, he’ll buy me a yacht. (I’ll just buy you a bigger and better yacht I thought.) Sweetness said he knew I would be difficult with this but not that difficult. I was surprised. I told him he had never been so mean to me before.

He said, “I’m just being direct – the way you always are with me. You just aren’t used to getting it thrown back at you.”

I offered a compromise – like putting one or two restrictions. He said no. He claims that when we compromise it’s really always my way, which is totally not true. That only happens like half the time. Ok so maybe three-fourths of a time. But I can’t help it I’m always right.

He said, “No. You can make restrictions but I’m doing whatever I want to do. You asked me a long time ago if I was a push over and I told you I’m not when it comes to certain things.”

“Okay, we’ll do it your way,” I said smiling. While I was surprised, I couldn’t help feel slightly good. Good to know he has a spine. He’s learned well (smirk).

No comments: