11.22.2006

The Grinch

November 22. For me, it means the start of what seems like longest holidays ever that I wish we could just skip to January 2, but still get those days off from work.

I know I should be getting into my little jolly ol’ spirit like St. Nick, but I just don’t truly get excited about the holidays like other people do. Believe me not, I fake it especially when I’m at work because I don’t want to give these people the inkling that I just might the Grinch that stole Christmas (after all I’ve barely been there for a year now, let me move up a couple of positions first before I start showing my true identity).

I’m just not excited about carving the turkey. Well I don’t like turkey. I’m not excited about eating really anything this holiday. Hell truth be told, I don’t really like eating that much. (I just enjoy the experience at the restaurants.)

Then there is aspect of spending time with the family. You know they are OK and all but I’m just not that much of sociable gal, especially to 4 year olds that scream at the top of their lungs when food is taken out their hands or 6 year olds that pledge to become a doctor to stab you with a needle someday. Aunts and mothers who gossip the whole time, eat and talk about nonsense don’t entice me either. They are nice people and all but I really don’t want to spend a whole day with them. Well, except for Granny. We have meaningful conversations. You know the ones about the store sales, clothes and jewelry.

The older I get the more I dislike the holidays. Truth be told for the past three years I haven’t even wanted to put up a Christmas tree. And believe me if it wasn’t for my nagging mom we wouldn’t have had one. (Dad doesn’t see the point either of putting it up. You have to take it back down a couple of weeks later.)

First I thought maybe it was just a phase. But three years later, I’m starting to think just maybe it’s in my blood. You know kind of like when your Mom has brown hair you might have brown hair too?

Well Dad doesn’t like the holidays either. He epitomizes the Grinch whole Stole Christmas. In fact he probably is the Grinch. He’s grumpy all the way until Dec. 26. That is the day the Nordstroms Men’s Half-Yearly Sale starts. He’s up bright and early at 9 a.m. when the doors open.

Perhaps he is passing the torch to me. The new Grinch who stole Christmas *evil laugh* That doesn’t sound bad

No comments: