10.30.2008

ain't this some hot shit...

After three hours of layoffs and a 30-minute “we hate to, but we had to do this” meeting with the “powers that be,” I got my reassignment. They basically broke up all the teams and formed new ones.

As of Dec. 1, I will be on the creative consistency team. I was apprehensive, but interested. And seriously after the morning we had I was just happy to still have a job.

So we all had one-on-one meetings with our new boss. I knew nothing about my new boss. I had just seen and heard of her. We’ll call her KP. The times I’ve seen KP she was dressed in tights, leg warmers, bright colors. (She’s a woman in her 50’s.) KP is very high up in the organization and she is looked well upon. I slowly realized, as I talked to people, it was a good thing to be on her team. I was told she’s crazy, but apparently this is the team everyone wants to be on.
I had a five-minute meeting with her. This is how it went:

“HI! IT’S SO NICE TO MEET YOU!” she said. I write in all caps because she’s very hyper and talks really loud.

I just smiled said the same and sat in her office. By the way, she has office. At my job, you don’t get an office unless you are very high up…very.

“I JUST WANT TO TELL YOU WE HAVE THE BEST TEAM. ONLY THE BEST IS ON THE TEAM. OUR TEAM IS HOT SHIT. AND YOU CAN GO BACK AND TELL EVERYONE THAT” she said.

She got out the organization chart and showed it to me. Our team is on the level of all the other 5 teams, but says “WE MAY LOOK LIKE WE ARE HERE ON THIS CHART, BUT WE ARE REALLY HERE.” She points to the top.

According to my new boss, we may be called creative consistency team, but we are really the creative lead team. We determine the direction of every marketing piece that goes out the company. In other words we set the tone, the voice, environment, etc. We determine what style is used, both art and copy-wise. We are more on a concept level. I will no longer be working on physical tasks so to speak; I will be developing concepts with a small group of people.

So no more Internet or catalog writing. I will now be the one my former co-workers hate. Because I will be the one telling them how they should write things in everything across the board - internet, catalogs, etc.

After listening to her and thinking about it, I think it’s a good move. Basically, I’ve been put on the team who initiates change. There’s only two copy positions. I was picked for one. So maybe someone was looking after me after all. It’ll make more marketable and it will make it much easier for me to move throughout the company.

Now if I can handle my new boss. My old boss was crazy, but this…is a whole other different kind of crazy. My old boss ain’t got nothing on this lady. It’ll be interesting…

No comments: