2.06.2007

the clunker

I have never been so happy to be in my car like I am now. It all started Monday when I had to take my car to the shop. See, I had to get new tires because my car was not aligned. So I had to get my car aligned with the new tires. While it was there I went ahead and got an oil change. Then of course they founded out I needed new brake pads. Grand total: $427, but that’s another story.

Instead of taking my mother’s comfy Mercedes to work I decided to take my brother’s old clunker to work. I really didn’t know how bad it was until Tuesday. But I figured, what’s the harm? After all, raise time is coming up, so I wouldn’t hurt for the boss to see me in the clunker. I imaged parking right by the head of the department. I close the driver’s doors and the back bumper drops off as its been hanging by the thread. He thinks “we should probably give that girl a raise.”

Unfortunately the plan didn’t go accordingly. The drive to work wasn’t so bad. It was the drive back home that had me worried. That was when I heard the awful loud noise of construction on Midway as I sat at the stop light. It wasn’t until five more miles down the road at another stop light, I realized the “construction noise” was still there but no construction. As I was looking around, everyone was looking at me. The car made this loud drilling-like noise whenever I stopped. I was so scared it was going to explode. That’s when I notice the high winds. I looked to my left and saw a huge slit in between the window glass and the door frame. I felt like I was in Fred Flinstone’s vehicle with no top or windows. I wouldn’t have been surprised if I had to start using my feet to move the car. I felt like the car would break down at any moment. I had never been so happy to see my car.

No comments: